"When climbing the steps to success, do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, May 25, 2009

Prop 8 Retraction

Some time back, I wrote a blog entitled, "Separation of Church and State?" in which I discussed Prop 8. I voted YES on that proposition, which meant that I wanted the constitution of the State of California to be altered to ban same-sex marriages. I went on to describe how it was wrong for me to vote that way, but if I had the opportunity to re-vote, I'd vote the same way.

Within weeks of posting that blog, I truly had a heart change. If I got the chance to re-vote, I would vote NO, for all the reasons I explained in my previous blog.

I wasn't going to post this at first because...well, what is said is said, and I didn't want to seem like a flip-flopper. But as I got to thinking about it more and more, I want my writings to truly reflect who I am and what I believe. I welcome criticism from all angles, but if I am going to be criticized for something I write, it sure as heck better be what I actually believe.

Tomorrow the California Supreme Court will announce its ruling on whether to uphold or invalidate the Proposition. I'm eager to see what happens!

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Denise's Pieces for Scrutiny by Denise D. West is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.